Thursday, August 16, 2012

Old Bikes and More



The bike shop that is located inside Christian Books & More is one of the places I
work when I am not doing any Internet Marketing. I work there and at a local
hospital. I want to tell you some things about the bike shop that I have found
interesting and you may also. The local hospital is where I make the bulk of my
income, not from the bike shop or Internet Marketing.
First let’s make it clear that I do not own the bike shop, I am an independent
contractor that is paid to 1 repair bikes and 2 Sell bikes, really even though I do a
lot more those are the only 2 things for which I receive compensation at the bike
shop area of Christian Books & More. If no bikes are sold and no bikes are in for
repair, I do not make any money at all at the shop.
I operate an Internet site and sell some cycling stuff including bikes through my
websites as an Amazon and Bike Nashbar Affiliate, but repairs all go through
Christian Books & More as well as local bicycle sales.
Anyway the bike shop can be a very interesting place and a lot of fun too. Normally
it is fairly routine, bike comes in find out what it takes to fix it and if the bike is
worth that much you contact the owner get an OK on the estimate, check to see if
you have the parts, place an order if you don’t and then you fix the bike. Sounds
pretty simple and rather boring and many would find it just that.
Personally I find that bicycles are fascinating machines and I learn something new
from each bike I repair as well as something from virtually every customer. While
the new bikes are fantastic pieces of modern engineering the bikes from bygone days
bring back memories. The very first bike that I worked on that was not my own was
a 10 Speed Schwinn Racing bike. I was 11 years old and broke a friend’s bike by
accident so felt obligated to repair it or pay for the repair. Since I had very little
money I told him to bring it to the house the next day and I would fix it. I then took
a ride to the Whizzer Bike Shop in Lima Ohio and spoke with a very nice old
gentlemen , there, he was probably 40 or so, told him what had happened and he
showed me on a bike in the shop how to fix the problem. I never did know the
man’s real name he was always just Mr. Whizzer to me. I bought a new cable from
him for a little over 1.00 that I had earned selling Grit newspapers and installed it
on the Schwinn the next day. My friend was very impressed that I knew how to do
that.
When I was in the Navy several years later I read where that sweet gentleman that
had helped me that time on my friend’s bike and many times later on my own bikes
was killed by two young men trying to rob his store. I don’t know whether the men
that killed him were ever caught or convicted The register had something like 49.00
in it. What a terrible waste of a life for such a small amount of money.
My son in law’s brother Josh was murdered a few years back, doing the same thing
Mr. Whizzer was, trying to earn a living. Josh was called to pick up a junk car,
that is what he did for a living he bought and sold junk cars and scrap metal. He
arrived at the residence to pick it up and the actual events that went on are a little
blurry. The man that called him to pick up the car had no car to sell. The idea was
to get Josh alone with money and rob him. Whether the idea was to kill Josh we
really don’t know. The man claimed to have hit Josh with a baseball bat then shoot
him. Then he wrapped the body in and old rug and dragged it behind the house
trying to get the body back in the woods. Josh was only 5’6 but over 200 lbs and a
body builder so the weight was just too much to pull or push so the man set the body
on fire. The police found the charred body wrapped in a rug near the edge of the
woods.
I will always remember walking around the ponds and the area where Josh’s truck
was found abandoned. We didn’t find the body that day. They brought in a chopper
with special sensors and I noticed that the chopper kept coming back to the same
place, but the Police would not say they found the body with that much family there.
Once the family was cleared out they further investigated and found the body and
the murderer who confessed and is now in jail, but that doesn’t bring back my
Grandson’s Uncle Josh who they dearly loved. Mr. Whizzer would probably be
dead by now as he was something like 58 or 59 when he was killed and that was in
the early 70’s, but Josh was only 27 and would have had many years ahead of him
still.
I could probably blog daily about the things that happen at the shop, or memories
from my youth that have something to do with bikes, but I will try to pick out some
of the more interesting events and relay some interesting stories that I have heard.
One thing I always enjoy is when someone brings in an old antique bike and wants it
fixed or even completely restored. Those old bikes bring back a lot of childhood
memories and they also bring with them many challenges. Many of the companies
that made the original bikes like Schwinn are completely gone. Of course you can
buy a new Schwinn at Wal-Mart but it is not the same. The Schwinn company
went belly up many years back and Pacific Cycles bought the Schwinn name. Now
Schwinn, Mongoose, Next are all pretty much the same bikes with different decals
on them.
The Hawley Company and other distributors keep some old time parts around for
restoration, so many of the parts I can get are new but 3rd Party. The Original
Schwinn Tires actually say Schwinn right on them, none of the distributors we use
at this time have the tires that actually say Schwinn, but sometimes I have found
some good used ones at various yard sales, flea markets etc. I often look at flea
markets and yard sales just for that reason.
Let me tell you about what I found not long ago. I drove past a place the other day
that was having a yard sale. Nothing special the usual junk but one thing did catch
my eye. It was an old Huffy 10 speed. The gears were rusted til they would not even
move, the tires were shot and the bike looked horrible. I asked what they wanted
and they said 5.00 so I bought it and took it to the house. Jason has been wanting a
road bike, and with this cheap frame even though it is heavy, I can make him a
really nice bike. First I have to strip it down. I have already removed the wheels and
the front and rear deraileurs as well as the handlebars. I will probably be removing
the bottom bracket, crank etc in the next few days and plug that area up so the
frame can get a new coat of paint. If it would have been a Schwinn I probably would
restore it. There are many collectors of old Schwinn bikes. Huffy’s are not quite as
valued as a collector’s item. That is why it will be stripped down and made into a
road bike for Jason rather than restored to Original. Getting a road bike frame for
only 5.00 is still a bargain. I will also be able to re-use the handlebars and the fork. I
will put 26” wheels on it since he is only 13, maybe I can put 700C on it as he grows.
He does ride my Fuji ACR 2 quite often which has 700X 25’s on it. The seat will
have to be replaced. But I probably would have done that anyway. I figure the cost
of parts will be about 100.00 and about 10 hours labor, plus the cost of having it
painted. One of the auto body shops here in town has been painting frames for me
for 35.00 and that includes sandblasting the old paint off before painting the frame.
I could powder coat it, but don’t have a large enough oven yet. Maybe someday I
can get an oven that will fit bike frames and start powder coating some of them. I
get the old frames on a regular basis, but almost are Wal-Mart type bikes.
Jason and Kevin’s Dad, also named Jerry, picks up scrap metal especially old cars
and often gets old bicycles given to him also. The bikes are worth about 1 cent per
pound at the junk yard so a 40 lb bike nets about 40 cents. Instead of selling them to
the junk dealer he gives them to me and I use what I can, fix what I can and give
him back the scrap. I have offered many times to pay him for the bikes but he will
not take the money.
I really like getting those old bikes to repair. A short time back a person brought me
3 bikes that he wanted the store to sell on consignment and all of them were old
antique machines. One was a 3 wheeled Schwinn Town and Country with a big old
metal basket on the back and a small decal that says OSU Columbus, Ohio. It
needed some TLC and 3 new tires and tubes, but once I lubed it up, cleaned it up
some and put some new tires on it, the grandkids and I had a blast testing it out. I
rode it around the block a couple times, but Jason and Kevin tested it quite
thoroughly. It will need a new set of pedals and a few other things, but it really is
not in that bad of shape for its age, probably around 1970 or in that area
somewhere. There is a website I have heard about but not actually been too that can
run serial numbers on these antiques and give a bunch of information.
There is nothing greater than the enthusiasm of a child and my grandchildren keep
showing me that all the time. The bike still needs some work but we have it in the
shop as a “restorable antique” and it has been tested quite thoroughly by the best
testers in the world, children. Come by the shop sometime and take a look at the
bikes, especially the old ones, and meet the grandkids too.
Click here to find out more about me
Click here to find out more about the Empower Network and how you can get money today.
Have a great day
Jerry “The Bicycle Nut” Goodwin


No comments:

Post a Comment