Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cycling and other stuff


Looks like I have a chance to really get a lot of cycling in for the next couple of days. The Van broke down, so I really have little choice. If they don’t have it ready today I won’t be able to get to work tonight without cycling the 37 miles to the hospital. I have ridden that far many times, so the distance  is not really a problem. I average about 15 MPH over that area so it will take close to 2.5 hours to get there. Once I am there I will work for 10 hours. Then come back here which will take another 2.5 hours. This is time I am normally sleeping since I am working nights and start back on this rotation tonight.  The loss of sleep will probably be the hardest thing to deal with.
This much cycling will be fantastic for my training regimen for the Golden Olympics, and will also be great for dropping a few pounds, which I need to do anyway, so it will just be something that has to be done, and I will do it.
The Golden Olympics will be held in September in Grovania, where I will race a 5 K Time Trial, a 20 K Road Race, and a 10 K Time Trial in a 2 day period. It is pretty hilly there, so I need to get some climbing in, and the road between here and the hospital has plenty of long drawn out hills. The ones up North are more steep than the ones in this area. This year is a Qualifying year for the Nationals. If I qualify then I will get to race in Cleveland Ohio next year.
Yesterday I started building a wall that will become a room for a new tenant that will be moving in the store with us. Since the Van was not available I used Jim’s van to get the lumber but rode the bike to the store to work on the walls etc. I am riding a KHS Alite 40 Mountain Bike pulling a small trailer. The trailer I am carrying tools and such back and forth, so that adds a lot of weight and should actually be good for my training. The first year I competed I did not get the road bike until a week before the competition. I just kept riding the mountain bike and when I raced the first time I took a Bronze and two Silver Medals in the same events I will race this year.  I have managed to qualify for all the nationals since I started racing in the Golden Olympics. Cycling has been a lot of fun for me and one physician actually told me that it was probably keeping me alive.
The room I am building was supposed to be 25 X 16 or 400 SF. I managed to get the 25′ section up but realized when I started to put the 16′ section up that it isn’t 16 ” it is 14′ so the Square Footage has changed considerably. What is supposed to be 400 SF is only 340, so I will have to extend the wall down another 5 feet. Then they will be getting a little  over the 400 SF that they are paying for. Actually when you take off the 4″ for the wall since the floor space is what they are paying for the room will be 13’8″ X 29 which will be really close to 400 SF.
If you want to see more about me click here
I also just found a really neat facebook app that anyone that blogs can use  you use it with Twitter Feed, which I am sure most have you have heard of but this is actually a facebook group taking advantage of twitter feed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/302227986500354/
I just signed up so can’t tell you how effective it is, but a friend says she is having good luck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment