Sunday, December 16, 2012

Don't Count the Days, Make the Days Count


December 16, 2012
Muhammad Ali once said "Don't count the days, make the days count"
When we were children we would count the days til Christmas and wait very impatiently to open the presents on Christmas Day.  I know of a family that used an Advent Calendar to count down the days. She says she still does that with her grandchildren but while she cherishes each day, the grandchildren just want the days to be over. That sounds about like me when I was little.
Age and maturity bring a totally different perspective however, and today as I count down the days to Christmas I look for things I can do to help others. My own resources are limited , but there are still things I can do, and so can you.
Since I have a Bicycle Repair Shop in my backyard, I have been repairing bikes at pretty much no charge except for parts, and if I can find used parts from one of my "parts" bikes I  include those at no charge also. I have also donated some reconditioned bikes to a group that was looking for 100 bikes to give to children. I am not sure if they made it or not.
We cleaned out one of our sheds and could not believe all the stuff we found that we had not used in years, but still had life left in it,  We thought about having a yard sale to make a little extra cash, but the spirit of giving kind of took over so we donated it all to a local Thrift Shop.  We have a lot more room and the church will get a little money to help them out, so everyone is happy.
One thing that I have found in life in the 60 years I have been alive is that there is no better feeling that a person can have than the act of helping another. That especially applies to children and those that for some reason cannot help themselves. That is why when I choose a charity I almost always choose one that helps children in need. I have done charity bicycle rides for Cystic Fibrosis, Toys for Tots (Bikes or Bust) ,and each year I join Bret Wagenhorst at the Tiftarea YMCA to help with the Tour de Tifton which will be held April 6, 2013 and benefits the YMCA underprivileged children's programs. I have done a few more adult rides like rides for the ADA, but for the most part I look for events that help children.
When I do these charity bicycle rides I meet a lot of absolutely wonderful people and get great exercise. They are a tremendous amount of fun and the fellowship with like minded people  is absolutely fantastic.
I even once did a " Bench Press" contest for Easter Seals. Came in 5th if I remember right at just barely 300 lbs, but I was a lot younger then. The event raised a few thousand dollars and everyone had a great time.
So what if you can't ride a bike or lift 300 lbs for a cause, you can clean out he attic or he shed, or the Garage and give those still usable items to a church or a Thrift Shop that helps homeless people or something like that. Instead of just counting the days you can make the days count.
If you are needing some extra cash to help yourself and maybe to help others too, why not take a look at the Empower Network  which is a really neat program where you can make really good money and get started with only 25.00 a month. Within a few more months I expect that I will be able to retire from my regular job and enjoy working totally from home. If that is a dream of yours, by all means check out this link 
Have a great day
Jerry "The bicycle nut" Goodwin
For more info on me click here
For answers to questions on cycling click here
For answers to questions on Fitness click here 
For a program that is automatic and pays 100% Commissions click here
For Heritage Church Clic here

No comments:

Post a Comment