Friday, June 20, 2014

BMG Cycles News

June 20, 2014


Personal News

Yesterday I went to Valdosta and did my e-verify/I-9 forms which kind of "seals the deal" on the new job. The plan right now is that on June 30th I will head to Marietta Georgia for the first week of training. Dish Network will be providing a hotel room, meals and uniforms and the training of course.

Last week I turned in my letter of resignation at Home Depot, I will miss that job. The people there were great and I really d like the job, but Dish has a lot of benefits over Home Depot that I just could not pass up. Dish is full time, THD is part time, Dish offers a "benefits package" that THD does not. Dish is 40 plus hours a week, THD is 20-30 Hours per week, and Dish pays more per hour.

Also I think I will really like working at Dish, I have always had a strong interest in Electronics and have an Associates Degree in Computer Robotics Technology. Also have in the past repaired computers, VCR's and even printers on a part time basis. Many years back even installed a Satellite TV system for a Doctor in Nogales, AZ when I lived in Tucson. I also installed a computer network system about the same time at The Women's Center in Nogales and built computers for other doctors and for several people that would come over from Mexico to get their computers. I even worked with the French Ambassador to Mexico around that time to get him a special Atari Computer.

My understanding is that I will be working the Omega Georgia territory as an installer, however could have installs, repairs, etc.  anywhere in a 60 mile radius. The company furnishes uniforms, tools, van, gas and pays well, so I am quite excited about the new job.

I have to work on cleaning out my shed in the next month, so I can store all my "supplies" at the house, It has been needing it anyway. Ruth and I have already started that. That may mean the Storehouse at Heritage is in for a big donation, and much of that stuff has been in there since about 2006 when we bought the 10 X 16 portable barn with loft.  I am probably going to turn it into a workshop/Dish Storage area. Or depending on the amount of storage needed may get another portable building that can be used just for the Dish Products.

Dish does have some really neat products like the Hopper and the Tailgater, and I have heard a lot of really good things in the area about their service and products. They even offer a special Glass Cleaner for electronics that is made by disabled veterans, pretty neat way of helping the vets.

I work today at Home Depot so will see about getting some prices on shelving or wood to make shelving that will fit the boxes of Satellite products the Daniel showed me yesterday.


Bike Shop News

With the new job, I am not going to have a lot of time to work on bikes which is sort of depressing but I am not going to just stop altogether. Last week I posted on Facebook about needing some help and received several very good replies.

A young veteran by the name of Nick came by and we have talked a couple of times. Nick was a Diesel Mechanic in the Army and was recently discharged. He knows some stuff about bikes already and is willing to learn more. He and I are trying to work out an agreement to where he could operate the shop when I am not able to be there.

He will be there Monday the 23rd and will work most of the day with me to see how things work out and if we can come to an arrangement then he will be working there for sure during the training period and probably after that also. If your are in the area, stop by and meet Nick.

We will have to get a new phone specifically for the bike shop, I have been using my cell phone for it, but with Nick being there we will get a regular business phone that is specifically for the bike shop.  I called Windstream last week and got prices etc, will probably have that installed this week.

Monday Nick will learn how to replace a crank and cut and install a chain as well as adjust a rear derailleur . I will try to show him other stuff, but already know the bikes for both those projects are in the shop now. 

The job at Dish is 4 days on and 3 days off with the possibility of overtime on extra days. I plan to be available to help Nick with the shop and anything as much as possible. Right now the consensus is that I will probably be working Wednesday through Saturday as my 4 days during training. I do not know if that will carry through after I receive my van or not.


Bible Verse from Devotional

Psalm 102:18-28

New International Version (NIV)
18 Let this be written for a future generation,
    that a people not yet created may praise the Lord:
19 “The Lord looked down from his sanctuary on high,
    from heaven he viewed the earth,
20 to hear the groans of the prisoners
    and release those condemned to death.”
21 So the name of the Lord will be declared in Zion
    and his praise in Jerusalem
22 when the peoples and the kingdoms
    assemble to worship the Lord.
23 In the course of my life[a] he broke my strength;
    he cut short my days.
24 So I said:
“Do not take me away, my God, in the midst of my days;
    your years go on through all generations.
25 In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth,
    and the heavens are the work of your hands.
26 They will perish, but you remain;
    they will all wear out like a garment.
Like clothing you will change them
    and they will be discarded.
27 But you remain the same,
    and your years will never end.
28 The children of your servants will live in your presence;
    their descendants will be established before you.”

Footnotes:

  1. Psalm 102:23 Or By his power



No comments:

Post a Comment