Thursday, July 10, 2014

More training

July 10, 2014,


Bible Verse from Daily Devotional:

My God, whom I praise,
    do not remain silent,
for people who are wicked and deceitful
    have opened their mouths against me;
    they have spoken against me with lying tongues.
With words of hatred they surround me;
    they attack me without cause.
In return for my friendship they accuse me,
    but I am a man of prayer.
They repay me evil for good,
    and hatred for my friendship.
Appoint someone evil to oppose my enemy;
    let an accuser stand at his right hand.
When he is tried, let him be found guilty,
    and may his prayers condemn him.
May his days be few;
    may another take his place of leadership.
May his children be fatherless
    and his wife a widow.
10 May his children be wandering beggars;
    may they be driven[a] from their ruined homes.
11 May a creditor seize all he has;
    may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.
12 May no one extend kindness to him
    or take pity on his fatherless children.
13 May his descendants be cut off,
    their names blotted out from the next generation.

More Training:
 

Today was my second day with my trainer in Valdsota, everything went pretty smooth.  Day 1, we were in Hahira and di two installs. I was allowed to do all the outside work, my trainer stayed with me on day 1 to help me with stuff. I put the "Dish" together and installed it. Day 1 both of our installs were at places where Dish had been previously installed. 

Both of those dishes were installed using Western Arc Satellites, this area now uses almost all Eastern Arc Satellites, so we had to change these out and point and peek the new dish. I am at this point only allowed to install up to the Ground Block, and my trainer is allowing me to do that. I think I am improving at least somewhat with each install.  I do forget a few things but the more I do it the more comfortable I feel and I think I will get much better at it.

Each day after the work is done, I meet with the trainer and the FSM and we talk about how the day went, what I can do to improve and what they can do to help me improve. In 2 days I  (with the help of my trainer) have built and set up 4 Dishes, Installed them on actually 4 different types of mounts and point and peaked them.

The QAS guy came by today at our first job and was asking about a lot of different stuff, then he checked the wiring and the signals on the Dish and said that I was doing great, that he had not seen that high of signal strength across the board on that particular satellite group before, he seemed very impressed. The trainer really helped me and form what I hear he is still helping previous students. He gets calls all the time asking him about stuff and he always does help them.

The trainers also seemed very impressed when I made a suggestion that worked out great for both us and the client. It saved a lot of time and crawling under the house, and actually looked really good while staying well within regulations.  The QAS guy was even out there taking pictures.

At this point I am really enjoying the training. I have 2 days left this week. Friday and Saturday. This week has been almost 100% OJT (on the job training).  I drive to all the  customers homes, I introduce us and verify what the customer has ordered, then the trainer and I go out and do a site survey. We look for good places to locate the dish, then check for line of site with the inclinometer. Once that is done I put together a Dish and install it, then point and peak it and run a scan on it. I use a small meter called a super buddy to check the signal.

If you know me you know I do try to be organized and try to keep whatever tools I might need safe and well within reach. I am having a minor problem with some of the small tools like drill bits and sockets. At Marrietta they have these small "tool tubes" that they use to keep that stuff in, but I did not get one at Valdosta so I stopped at Home Depot and picked up some small zippered tool bags, which I will use to keep some of these small tools organized.

Week 3 will start Monday the 14th and go through Friday the 18th in Marietta, which will be about 60% video and 40% hands on if it works like week 1 did.

Week 4 starts the 23rd and is back in Valdosta, since I am currently only allowed to install up to the ground block, I assume that during this week I will have been sufficiently trained to do entire installations from start to finish.  Hope I am right, because the next week I go out on my own, though I really can call for help any time I need it, so it is not like I am totally alone.


Bike Shop:

Nick nor myself were in the Bike Shop today, but if you needed stuff you could just go to the bookstore and pay for it at their register.  Until further notice there will be no one manning the Bike Shop on Thursday, however Nick mentioned that he would be in on Saturdays. We used to be closed on Saturday, I am hoping someone being there on Saturday may be a great thing for us.

If all works out Nick said he would not mind doing some clinics like how to change a tire, how to adjust a derailleur etc. and those will likely be done Saturdays. I think people would like that really well and it may help bring in business to the shop.

The Shop now has it's own phone number 229-891-3010. You can still call my cell at 229-921-0072 but when I am on the clock for Dish, I will not be able to answer so you will have to leave a message and I will return the call as soon as I can.

Have a great day

Jerry 'The Bicycle Nut" Goodwin
BMG Cycles Plus
1612 1st Ave. SE
Moultrie, GA 31768







 

No comments:

Post a Comment